Pink Steel is the Breast Cancer survivor team of the Steel City Dragons organization in Pittsburgh, PA.
What’s new with Pink Steel
Pink Steel takes silver in international event in Sarasota
October 26, 2014
Pink Steel, the breast cancer survivor team of the Steel City Dragons organization, took second place overall among 101 international teams at the 2014 IBCPC Participatory Dragon Boat Festival in Sarasota FL on October 24-26 2014. In a powerful showing, Pink Steel was the top finisher among all the U.S. teams and set the fastest time in the event during their semifinal qualifying.
Pink Steel was profiled on the WTAE 11:00 news on June 17, 2013 in a story, titled “Breast cancer survivors race together as women of steel“.
Also, see WTAE’s behind the scenes video.
Pink Steel will be featured in new video marketing campaign for UPMC that will be released in early 2013. Filming by a 40-person crew transformed the team’s practice site at the Fox Chapel Yacht Club into a virtual movie set. Thirteen members of Pink Steel, including illustrious coach Lynne Franks-Meinert were present to paddle the team’s pink boat. Undaunted by the 30-degree weather, the team showed off their national-championship form. In additional segments, team members were filmed doing their individualistic off-the-water activities, including running, teaching, and even tap dancing. As always, the team had a blast performing for the cameras!
Pink Steel was a hit at the 2012 Macy’s Day Parade the Saturday after Thanksgiving. The float featured the team’s pink dragon boat while Pink Steel paddlers paraded alongside, brandishing their paddles while festooned in pink Santa hats. The team was proud to join their hometown in festivities to ring in the holidays.
Pink Steel won the breast cancer survivor division for the second year in a row at the 5th Annual Mercer County Dragon Boat Festival.
Congratulations, Coach! Pittsburgh Magazine the Pittsburgh Urban Magnet Project (PUMP) named Pink Steel Coach Lynne Franks-Meinert as one of Pittsburgh’s “40 under 40″ top young leaders for 2007
In the news
- How To Get Involved With Pink Steel Breast Cancer Survivor Team
- Fox Chapel dragon boat team claims title as best in nation
- Pine woman’s dragon boat team races to 2nd in national event
- Races over, the hope continues
- Pink flower shower ends ‘global’ fest in Sarasota
- Congratulations to Pink Steel (Katherine Amenta of WPXI)
- Pink Steel Dragon Boat Team Takes Second in International Competition
- Boating Team Bonds Survivors
- Cheers for two Pink Steel Paddlers
- Dragon Dream Team competes in international competition
- Women pursue life with newfound passion (theAlmanac.net 10/1/2013)
- Pretty in pink: Cancer survivors form top dragonboat racing team (Sports Illustrated online 8/11/2010)
- Local Cancer Survivors Take To The Water With Dragon Boat Racing (WTAE-TV, 5/9/2008)
Video clip: High Quality – Low Quality
- General informational flyer
- List of BCS teams
- List of scientific publications that show the benefits of dragon boating
- Video slideshow (15MB Windows Media file)
- Photos of 2006 season