Join in the fun at the second annual Steel City Dragon Boat Festival on September 23, 2017 and put a team together for a day of fun at North Park Lake.
We have arranged a block of rooms at a special rate of $109 at the Home2 Suites by Hilton Pittsburgh/McCandless, PA, 8630 Duncan Avenue, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15237
A block of rooms have been reserved for September 22, 2017 – September 24, 2017. The special room rate will be available until September 1st or until the group block is sold-out, whichever comes first.
What is a Dragon Boat?
- Dragon boat racing began from an ancient Chinese Legend
- Third fastest growing water sport in the world
- 40 foot canoe with 10 bench seats…room enough for 20 paddlers
- The boat has an ornamental dragon head and tail.
- A steersperson stands in the back with a 10-foot steering oar
- A drummer calls the cadence from the front.
What do you need to do?
- Get at least 21 friends, colleagues, or family members together to form a team
- You need 20 paddlers, with a minimum of 8 women paddlers
- You need 1 drummer
- All team members must be at least 12 years old
- Think of a name for your team (the best name gets a prize)
- Paddles and life jackets will be provided for practices and races
- Sign up for practice the week before the event
- Folks of all shapes, sizes, ages, athletic ability will enjoy!
How much does it cost?
- $800 for community and nonprofit teams (25 people at $32 per person)
- $1000 for business or corporate teams (25 people at $40 per person)
What happens on race day – September 23, 2017?
- The festival will take place at North Park Boat House
- You will be assigned a tent area at the venue (bring own tent)
- You will be competing in at least three 250m races.
- Each race will be the most exciting 2 minutes you can experience on the water!
- You will be provided with an experienced steers person
- You need to have a drummer in an eye catching costume(best dressed prize)
- Awards and recognition will go to winning teams, drummer costumes, and team name